Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Carnegie Mellon University's Facilities Management & Campus Services department is searching for a Steamfitter to join the team! This is an excellent opportunity for someone who thrives in an exciting and challenging work environment. In this role, you will be required to move and work in confined spaces, up and down ladders and to work from ladders, scaffolding and bucket truck platform. Travel to jobs over a 100+ acre campus with many hills and stairs.
The Steamfitter performs various duties such as installing, modifying, repairing low, medium, and high-pressure steam and condensate systems, hot water supply and return piping systems used for both heating and process functions including all necessary appurtenances such as pressure reducing stations; pressure regulating valves; temperature controls; expansion joints; hangers, pipe guides and supports; heat exchangers heating coils, pumps, steam traps and manual shutoff and control valves. In addition, you will analyze, diagnose, and repair system and equipment malfunctions for all systems and devices described above.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Maintain and repair both fired and unfired steam and hot water heating equipment.
- Requisition job parts and supplies.
- Complete electric and gas welding of pipe and mild steel plate silver soldering.
- Read and interpret drawings and specifications and install piping per such documents.
- Other duties as assigned.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within FMCS. Inclusion, collaboration, and cultural sensitivity are valued proficiencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who can optimally interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
- High School Diploma or GED Required.
- Completed trade certification or apprenticeship program as a journeyman, pipefitter, or steamfitter.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience as a journeyman or sub-journeyman level steam/pipe fitter in a maintenance setting.
- Equivalent experience and/or education may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Valid Pennsylvania driver's license (or equivalent for out-of-state applicants)
- Ability to lift 40 pounds from ground to overhead.
- Membership with Local #95 International Union of Operating Engineers bargaining unit required upon hire.
- Successful Background Check
- Valid PA Driver's License
- Fitness for duty assessment and pre-employment medical exam
- Pre-employment drug and alcohol screen
Interested? Apply today!
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university's current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Craft Trades (L95)
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance