Are you ready to join an organization where we focus on People First, have fun at work and make a difference in what we do?
Dairyland is proud of our People First culture centered around appreciation, celebrating wins and collaboration. We’ve worked hard to ensure alignment between our culture and our processes and systems, learning and development and rewards and recognition programs.
As a team, we work together to leverage the team’s diverse perspectives, ideas and experiences to deliver nothing less than the best. We are collaborative, transparent and committed to our People and their work experience, growth and professional development.
MECHANIC (ALMA, WI)
The Mechanic is responsible for the daily activities associated with the Mechanical Maintenance, Fuels, and Solid Waste Maintenance departments.
The Impact You'll Make In This Role:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: This list is developed to demonstrate the level of duties normally performed by this classification and to develop a related wage rate. This list is not an all-encompassing list of duties.
1. Assist department Foreperson in implementing a safety program within the department that complies with all established safe work practices.
2. Assist in writing and updating department procedures, system drawings, and training materials.
3. Ensure that all Maintenance Requests (Work Orders) are filled out accurately, with required information and are turned in promptly. Demonstrate competency utilizing computerized maintenance management system to support work processes.
4. Trouble shoot, repair, and maintain: • Ash handling equipment • Steam generator and all related equipment • Condenser system • Coal unloading equipment • Steam piping and valves • Turbine and generator • HVAC systems • Fuel handling equipment • Mobile and portable plant equipment • Plant water systems • Building structure
5. Complete equipment records related to tests, modifications, repairs, and preventative maintenance.
6. Be familiar with equipment vendor information files, reports, maintenance procedures, and other written materials.
7. Maintain a high degree of proficiency by attending training programs. Assist in the training of Mechanic Trainees or Apprentices.
8. Maintain clean, orderly and hazard-free work areas.
9. Assist in maintaining an adequate and orderly spare parts and equipment inventory.
10. Safely work around operating equipment.
11. Responsible for protecting the Cooperative’s property.
12. Perform all other duties historically performed by this classification and all other duties assigned.
13. Fuels Group Mechanic responsible to Operate/ process ash at JPM and Alma Offsite.
14. Fuels Group Mechanic will be responsible for dumping coal trains and oversee Lock Out Tag Out for this system.
NATURE AND EXTENT OF FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY: Job performance can have a significant impact on safety, equipment availability, repair costs, and plant reliability.
Your Experience and Expertise:
Education & Experience: (Internal Candidates) – Must have completed a state-approved mechanical apprenticeship program OR possess comparable education and work experience. (External Candidates) – Associate degree or two-year diploma in a directly related field required plus three years related experience.
Skills: Must be knowledgeable and able to perform duties of maintenance mechanic (power generation). Must become knowledgeable in the budget process, station cost center breakdown, accounting system, and account numbers. Personnel, accounting, safety and materials management training to be completed at the first opportunity after selection date. Computer literacy or willingness to be trained. Ability to read drawings/schematics, utilize reference materials, and safety manuals. Oversee Lockout/Tagout process as required (Coal Handling Mechanic).
Licenses and Certifications: Possess and maintain valid driver’s license. Will be required to certify in high pressure boiler and structural steel welding by the conclusion of the six (6) month introductory period. Annual welding re-certification required.
Physical Demands: Sit, stand, walk, lift (frequently up to 80 lbs.), push/pull, crawl, twist upper body, climb hand-over-hand, bend, and using hand signals. Operate mobile equipment including overhead cranes, boiler suspended access equipment, end-loader, fork truck, and other equipment as assigned. Proficient use of hand hoist, power tools, hydraulic tools, alignment tools, welding equipment, acetylene torch, pyrite scraper, measuring instruments, rigging techniques, and telephone. Ability to operate coal dumper and ash processing systems. Manipulate test equipment, maintenance tools and equipment, ladders, scaffolding planks. Ability to be respirator certified.
Environmental Demands: Work indoors and outdoors, occasionally in extreme heat and frequently in extreme noise. Frequently work around mechanical, electrical hazards, dust, chemical, and toxic waste hazards. Frequently work at heights.
Other Job Characteristics: Off-duty availability, emergency call-in. Occasionally interact with contractors, vendors, and co-workers. Moderate supervision. Team-oriented and independent worker, having variable tasks. Variably paced; variable pressure. Work overtime as required. Coal Handling Mechanic is required to support coal dumping schedule as assigned.
Note: Successful candidate must reside/relocate primary permanent residence to within a 35 air miles distance of the Alma Site. Relocation must occur no later than the end of the transfer period OR initial introductory period. Failure to comply with the requirement will result in being placed on layoff status OR termination (respectively).
We are committed to providing our greatest asset, our People, with as many perks and benefits as possible. Some benefits of working with us include:
Dairyland is proud of its history as a pioneer in rural electrification. The generation and transmission cooperative formed in 1941, bringing light and power to the homes and farms in “America’s Dairyland.” Specifically serving rural communities and countryside, Dairyland continues to ease work conditions and improve quality of life for residents by delivering a safe, reliable supply of energy in its four-state service territory.