Location: Westchester Campus,
Provide general maintenance and repairs for basic electrical, carpentry, painting and plumbing repair and maintenance. Troubleshoot and perform repairs.
As assigned and under minimal supervision performs skilled journey level plumbing work including following blueprints to install and maintain pipelines, air, water, steam, gas, oil, and acid. Cuts, bends, threads, and files pipes using appropriate tools to do required installation or repair work. Caulks pipes and performs hydro-static pressure test of completed work.
General Duties/ Responsibilities:
1. Perform more complicated plumbing repairs and/or replacement of plumbing fixtures, valves, and other devices as required. Clear clogged drains, using plumbers' snake or toilet auger.
2. Provide plumbing assistance for complex and/or large scale jobs.
3. Perform carpentry duties including but not limited to: prepares walls for painting, patches holes, replaces dry wall, and paints. Stains and refinishes wood work, such as wall paneling and furniture, etc. Assists in roof repairs, repairs or replaces tiles, performs caulking. Replace glass in windows, doors and partitions; make minor roof repairs; operate power wood and metal working tools. Hang banners, posters, and TV's.
4. Perform minor repairs and/or replacement of light bulbs, electrical fixtures, and appliances as required.
5. Perform Preventive Maintenance (PM) such as, Oil and grease machinery, change filters media, adjust and renew belts, clean traps, and strainers.
6. Inspect machinery in operation to assure proper functioning, including checking pressures and temperatures.
7. Observe and report, through the work order system, any and all defects, deterioration, and wear and tear on the facilities.
8. Assist in coordinating major repairs, painting, and setting up of all buildings within scheduled periods.
9. Assist as required and cooperate with all tradespeople and custodians in the performance of day to day duties and responsibilities.
10. Follow assigned work orders and maintains the cleanliness of work areas and building systems.
11. Perform all work in accordance with established industrial and personal safety procedures.
This list is representative of those duties and responsibilities that are required of this position. However, the list is not to be considered as all inclusive. A supervisor may assign other duties to meet requirements of the University and cooperation of all staff in completing assigned tasks.
Loyola Marymount University Expectations:
Exhibit behavior that supports the mission, vision, and values of the university. Promote and support an environment of diversity and inclusion. Communicate and employ interpersonal actions that model high standards of professional, responsible, accountable, and ethical conduct. Demonstrate a commitment to outstanding customer service.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
A working understanding of the State of California plumbing code.
Must have knowledge of principles and theory of plumbing application and equipment.
Demonstrated knowledge in the areas of: shop mathematics, blueprint reading; operation and mechanics of controlled devices, care for and use of equipment is necessary.
Ability to plan, organize, control, and direct all aspects of required corrective and preventative maintenance for all campus buildings.
Ability to work within the overall organization of the University and work with skilled and unskilled personnel and administrators.
Must possess good oral and written communication skills and be able to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to express ideas effectively and concisely.
Must be willing to seek training to enhance or learn new skills.
Must be accessible and available in the event of emergencies or when needed to meet the ongoing missions of the University.
Must possess knowledge and technical skills required for the repair and maintenance of plumbing, electrical systems, fixtures, carpentry, and applications.
Ability to effectively work individually or in teams as well as with diverse groups.
Ability to effectively communicate orally, in writing or electronically.
Ability to work effectively in a service oriented environment subject to frequently changing priorities.
Ability to follow through and carry out assignments.
Ability to understand and apply University and Departmental policies and procedures.
High school diploma or GED, Trade or technical school diploma or degree.
Plumber C36 license.
Seven years' experience in the care and maintenance of similar facilities or any combination of education, training, or experience which fulfills the requirements of the position and needs of the University.
Knowledge of standard practices, processes and use of materials, and hand and power tools used in multiple crafts.
Valid California driver's license.
Shift Schedule: Monday- Friday 8:30am- 5:00pm
Applicants should submit the following materials:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Constantly required to sit, feel, use finger movement, speak clearly, hear conversation, see near and far. Frequently required to stand and walk. Occasionally required to lift, carry and push up to 25 lbs., stoop, kneel, reach high and low, use depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment is normal.
Mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Frequent calculating, interrupted work, variety of interrelated tasks, sustained concentration, use of reasoning, judgment, resourcefulness, analytical ability, and ingenuity.
$27.50 - $30.24 Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Loyola Marymount University, a Carnegie classified R2 institution in the mainstream of American Catholic higher education, seeks outstanding applicants who value its mission and share its commitment to inclusive excellence, the education of the whole person, and the building of a just society. LMU is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment as defined by federal, state and local law. We invite all persons in the full diversity of their being, life experience, and beliefs to apply. (Visit www.lmu.edu for more information.)