Location: Houston, TX, United States,
Special Instructions to Applicants: All interested applicants must attach a resume in the Supporting Documents section of the application in a PDF format. Please note that the applicant tracking system does not convert attachments in Word format successfully.
Rice Grounds' team of thirty-plus professionals maintains our 300-acre tree-lined campus while creating first impressions. We support the university's mission of teaching and research through our effective and innovative stewardship of the campus landscape. The irrigation specialist performs installation, maintenance and repair of manual, automatic and computerized irrigation systems and related components, completes inspections and audits, and provides essential support to our zone maintenance groundskeepers and other broadcast maintenance specialists.
The ideal candidate understands that success in this role requires a commitment to teamwork, constant improvement, and dedication to first-class customer service "with no upper limit."
Salary: $18.00 an hour
Experience and Education Requirements
- HS Diploma or equivalent
- Two years of related experience with irrigation system installation, operation, maintenance and repairs
- In lieu of the experience requirement, additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis may be substituted
- Valid Texas Driver's License (or ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment) required with no more than three moving violations or at fault accidents within the past 36 months and no convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the last five years
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) irrigation license required or the ability to obtain the license in 12 months
- Skills Required
- Knowledge of irrigation systems
- Ability to follow instructions
- Good knowledge of ground maintenance
- Knowledge of proper equipment use and maintenance
- Assists with sprinkler system installation
- Repairs and replaces pumps, main feeder and lateral lines, PVC pipes, sprinkler heads, radio-controlled valves and controls, and electronically controlled water sensors
- Replaces low voltage wiring
- Sets and updates watering schedule for sprinkler system; completes sprinkler system preventative maintenance program
- Monitors grounds during special events to insure protection of system; reports grounds condition and water or plant losses due to system malfunction
- Operates snow removal equipment
- Supports water conservation efforts
- Keeps abreast of current trends in irrigation systems by reviewing publications and attending lectures and conferences
- Performs all other duties assigned
- Adapts to changes in seasonal work load by filling in with other Grounds personnel as assigned by supervisor
- Modifies existing irrigation to improve coverage or allow for construction activities
- Rapidly responds to address emergency leaks or malfunctions
- Repairs broken irrigation components such as pipes, heads, nozzles, valves, etc.
- Troubleshoots and repairs electrical components
- Monitors and programs irrigation controllers for proper and efficient operation
- Performs preventative maintenance to correct performance including elevation adjustments of heads, valves, and valve boxes
- Five years of on-the-job experience with irrigation installation, operation, and maintenance
- Experience programming "smart" controllers
- TCEQ irrigation technician
- TCEQ landscape irrigator
- Knowledge of irrigation design
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Must be able to lift loads no greater than 50 lbs.
- Must be able to climb stairs, ladders, scaffolding, and work around confined areas with piping and wiring obstructions, as needed, to access equipment
- Requires moderate to heavy physical activity, including bending, stooping, climbing, balancing, standing, and walking up to eight hours per day
- Occasionally required to enter utility tunnels and confined spaces
- Working in an outdoor environment, often under harsh conditions including temperature extremes and/or inclement weather, is required
- Some overtime or flexibility in scheduling is necessary to meet deadlines
This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to report to campus, provide the essential services designated and work under the overall direction of the Crisis Management Team for the duration of a campus emergency.
Rice University HR / Benefits website
Rice Mission and Values
Faculty and staff are expected (but not required) to have completed a full vaccination series for COVID-19 (currently defined as full course COVID-19 Vaccine (typically two shots of a WHO-approved COVID-19 Vaccine or one J&J) and a COVID-19 booster. Rice does not require documentation for COVID 19 vaccination at this time for faculty and staff. More information can be found here: https://coronavirus.rice.edu/policies
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.